We spent a total of $425.98 on living expenses and an additional $113.50 for one-time expenses. We spent 7-days in Belize and drove 318 miles. We camped 71% (5-nights) and stayed in a hotel 2% (2-nights) of the time.
|Total – US$||Daily Average||Percent of total|
|Average fuel price per gallon||$4.32|
The exchange rate is fixed at 1USD for 2BZD. We use ATMs to retrieve our funds and we do not have ATM fees as they are reimbursed to us (Schwab checking account).
The average daily spend was $60.85 which is below our goal of $65 ($32.50 per person). Remember this is for two people so if divided by two that is about $30.43/day/person. The daily average including one-time expense is $77.07 so above our goal. Our incidentals included a guide for our jungle excursion and buying a phone app. The communication cost was to add Skype credit. Our Mexico SIM card continued to work in Belize for data.
Border expenses were $37.50 for two tourist visas, $30 for the dog’s inspection and permit fee, and $46 for insurance for two motorcycles for two weeks.
Fuel consumption: these numbers are estimates, as we don’t track per motorcycle but a mixture of both. We purchased 11.9 gallons of fuel and drove 522 miles miles for both bikes. This means we have an average of 44 miles per gallon per bike.
Miles driven: this is based on Zippy’s odometer and not the total miles of both bikes. Occasionally we ride two-up or Mike may take Donkey to do some errands and these additional miles are not accounted for. When providing miles per gallon averages this is an important caveat as we are not tracking both motorcycles odometers.
- Fuel: petrol for two motorcycles and minor use of gas for our MSR camp stove
- Grocery: food and incidentals purchased at grocery stores/markets/butcher that may include batteries, toiletries, etc. as well as food.
- Prepared Food: meals purchased at restaurants, food stalls, or prepared food from local stores (e.g. burritos from Mexican cafes)
- Camp: camp ground fees
- Hotel: hotel fee
- Communications: local SIM cards, Skype credit, USB modems, recharging for minutes and data, internet cafes, etc.
- Dog: all items related to Ducati such as food, medicine, etc.
- Incidental: anything that doesn’t fit into other categories with notes made as to the actual expenses but anticipated as park fees, other fees, postcards, shopping, etc.
- Border: border fees for people, motorcycles, and pet as well as insurance required, and any other border expenses.
- Parts/maintenance: anything purchased for the maintenance or repair of the motorcycles.
- Other: gear replacement, excursions, and other one-time expenses.