We spent a total of $743.61 on living expenses and $181.04 for one-time expenses. We stayed 10-nights in Costa Rica and drove 572 miles. We camped 90% (9-nights) and stayed in a hotel 10% (1-nights) of the time.
|Total – US$||Daily Average||Percent of total|
|Average fuel price per gallon||$4.12|
The average exchange rate we received was 530.74 Costa Rican Colon per US dollar. We use ATMs to retrieve our funds and we do not have ATM fees as they are reimbursed to us (Charles Schwab checking account).
The average daily spend was $74.36, which was above our goal of $65 ($32.50 per person). Remember this is for two people so if divided by two that is about $37.18/day/person. Costa Rica is expensive and we ran out of items that needed replacing while there that are high cost (sunscreen, mosquito repellent, Imodium, and Aleve). We also took part in a night hike tour while in Monte Verde that increased our incidental expenditures. It was worth it.
Our one-time expenses were for our border crossing (details available in border report), tools for fixing the broken luggage rack on Mike’s bike, and our other items were new sunglasses and flip flops for Mike.
Fuel consumption: these numbers are estimates, as we don’t track per motorcycle but a mixture of both. We purchased 22.45 gallons of fuel and drove 1,038 miles for both bikes. This means we have an average of 46 miles per gallon per bike.
Miles driven: this is based on Zippy’s odometer and not the total miles of both bikes. Occasionally we ride two-up or Mike may take Donkey to do some errands and these additional miles are not accounted for. When providing miles per gallon averages this is an important caveat as we are not tracking both motorcycles odometers.
- Fuel: petrol for two motorcycles and minor use of gas for our MSR camp stove
- Grocery: food and incidentals purchased at grocery stores/markets/butcher that may include batteries, toiletries, etc. as well as food.
- Prepared Food: meals purchased at restaurants, food stalls, or prepared food from local stores
- Camp: camp ground fees
- Hotel: hotel fee
- Communications: local SIM cards, Skype credit, USB modems, recharging for minutes and data, internet cafes, etc.
- Incidental: anything that doesn’t fit into other categories with notes made as to the actual expenses but anticipated as park fees, other fees, postcards, shopping, etc.
- Border: border fees for people, motorcycles, and pet as well as insurance required, and any other border expenses.
- Parts/maintenance: anything purchased for the maintenance or repair of the motorcycles.
- Other: gear replacement, excursions, and other one-time expenses.