We spent a total of $821.45 on living expenses and nothing for one-time expenses. We spent 13-days in El Salvador and drove 333 miles. We camped 38% (5-nights) and stayed in a hotel 62% (8-nights) of the time.
|Total – US$||Daily Average||Percent of total|
|Average fuel price per gallon||$4.51|
El Salvador uses US dollars so it was a one to one relationship. We use ATMs to retrieve our funds and we do not have ATM fees as they are reimbursed to us (Schwab checking account).
The average daily spend was $63.19 that is below our goal of $65 ($32.50 per person). Remember this is for two people so if divided by two that is about $31.59/day/person. Our restaurant spend was higher than normal because during our second week in El Salvador we stayed at Tortuga la Verde at El Cuco where we ate in the restaurant more often than cooking for ourselves.
We didn’t incur any one-time expenses in El Salvador.
Fuel consumption: these numbers are estimates, as we don’t track per motorcycle but a mixture of both. We purchased 13.5 gallons of fuel and drove 688 miles for both bikes. This means we have an average of 50 miles per gallon per bike.
Miles driven: this is based on Zippy’s odometer and not the total miles of both bikes. Occasionally we ride two-up or Mike may take Donkey to do some errands and these additional miles are not accounted for. When providing miles per gallon averages this is an important caveat as we are not tracking both motorcycles odometers.
- Fuel: petrol for two motorcycles and minor use of gas for our MSR camp stove
- Grocery: food and incidentals purchased at grocery stores/markets/butcher that may include batteries, toiletries, etc. as well as food.
- Prepared Food: meals purchased at restaurants, food stalls, or prepared food from local stores
- Camp: camp ground fees
- Hotel: hotel fee
- Communications: local SIM cards, Skype credit, USB modems, recharging for minutes and data, internet cafes, etc.
- Dog: all items related to Ducati such as food, medicine, etc.
- Incidental: anything that doesn’t fit into other categories with notes made as to the actual expenses but anticipated as park fees, other fees, postcards, shopping, etc.
- Border: border fees for people, motorcycles, and pet as well as insurance required, and any other border expenses.
- Parts/maintenance: anything purchased for the maintenance or repair of the motorcycles.
- Other: gear replacement, excursions, and other one-time expenses.